Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why I'm Here

I am a writer.  It's not that hard to proclaim about myself  -  a bit harder to make true. 

You see, writers write. 

I launched a blog I was passionate about in the fall of 2008.  Thinking in Peaces was the perfect place for a journalist-turning-novelist to begin a transition from "the facts of life" to "the nuances of life"...and I fed my writer's soul several times a week with full days dedicated to research, pondering, and a poetic turn of editorial phrases.

Then, in 2009, I wrote my first novel. The book has roots in a news event, but is pure fiction.  It was ambitious, but fun in the way that I presume running a 26-mile marathon is fun...the joy being in the preparation, the trust of basic instincts, the lean into known strength, the finish. 

In 2010 I met an agent who expressed genuine interest in the work. By early 2011 I had a contract with said agent.  He was hopeful and enthused which made me hopeful and enthused.  In the ten months since, however, the lessons have been about being gracious in the face of rejection. 

Eleven times grace has been taken to the proving grounds, to date.

So while I am still hopeful about novel #1's chances with a publisher, I am taking at least a few of the eggs out of that basket as quickly as I can...novel #2 is underway. 

Sort of.

The truth is...most days I feel like this is the picture of my success:



If you write, I'm guessing you relate. 

So here I stand, coffee in hand, first few hundred words of a beautiful book in the dropbox folder.  This blog exists to catch me in the act of wandering off task...

At least I'll be writing.

Now.  Back to work.

1 comment: